[CentOS] ls permissions format changed in CentOS 8

Sat Oct 26 00:39:16 UTC 2019
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Friday, October 25, 2019 6:13 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> Found it. It happens from the process buffer inside Lugaru Epsilon. I
> think ls thinks it's doing a DIRED output instead of a shell output. Now
> I need to figure out why it thinks that. This wasn't happening in CentOS
> 7.

I'm puzzled. I can't find anything in the Gnu coreutils manual to describe
this format. I do note that outside Epsilon, the sort order changes,
ignoring leading dots and the case of filenames. So it seems like a locale
thing.

<https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html#Directory-listing>

Notable environment variable differences:

Outside, LS_COLORS has a very long string. LANG=en_US.UTF-8. TERM=xterm.

Inside, LS_COLORS is present but empty. LANG=C. TERM=dumb.

Changing these doesn't seem to fix the abbreviated permissions field.
Setting LANG does change the sort order so at least I understand that.

I may have to pull the coreutils-8.30-6.el8.x86_64 sources to see how ls
makes these decisions.