[CentOS] NFS shutdown issue

Tue Oct 29 12:36:45 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 05:48:42PM -0600, Darby Vicker wrote:
> Should it be expected that NFS stops when one of the exports is unmounted?
> I don't think so.  Below is some more info on the setup.  Getting another
> eye on this would be much appreciated.

I disagree.  This is probably part of the NFS server, to catch when
systems are being shut down and cleanly notifying and disconnecting
clients.

When the NFS mountd exports a filesystem, it gets a kernel lock on
that volume/directory (the linux NFSd is a kernel thread, not a
userspace daemon).  I don't believe that the NFS server knows to
un-export filesystems on a per-volume basis because it may come or
go.

If you expect the USB device to not be always connected, then you
shouldn't export it as an NFS share.  I don't think you can export an
automount either.