[CentOS] CUPS job handling

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Sep 1 17:04:02 UTC 2019

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:19:58 +0200
hw wrote:

> Yet if a printer doesn't print anymore, it is desirable to divert jobs
> to another printer, preferably a designated fallback.  It is of no use
> when the jobs get stuck in the queue until the printer is being
> maintained which can be days later.

You might want to write a program that will check the printer queues on a regular basis and
re-route the job if the printing stops.

lpstat will tell you what's going on with the printer (check queue, is it online, etc)

I don't know if there's an "official" way to recover a print job (you can research this yourself), but they are stored in /var/spool/cups so you could pull them directly from there if needed.

A bit of glue code to link all of that together (check printer status every X minutes, if the next pending job from the last check is still not printing then recover all of the incomplete jobs, cancel the printing on the local printer, re-route the recovered jobs to a different printer) and you'll be all set.