[CentOS] What about Mate Desktop on Centos 8?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 23:00:26 UTC 2019

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 at 18:18, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> According to Twitter:
>
> https://mobile.twitter.com/CentOSProject/status/1173652996305170432
>
> "The next version of #CentOS is being released September 24 and will be announced in all the usual places."
>
> I'm wondering about the status of the Mate Desktop.
>
> Looking under M here:
>
> https://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/fedora/epel/8/Everything/x86_64/Packages/m/
>
> I don't see anything about Mate.  Which leads me to ask, what's its status then?  I hope it hasn't died since that's what I use for all of my computers.

This is more of a question for the EPEL lists versus here. The current
status is that desktops are harder to package up in EL8 and only a
less feature version is available at the moment. At the moment the
only one I know of is KDE is half implemented in EPEL Playground and
will be reimplemented as a module when EPEL gains the ability to do
modules. At that point interested people can also do the work to make
Mate/Cinnamon/etc available.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.