[CentOS] CentOS 8.0 1905 is now available for download

Phil Perry pperry at elrepo.org
Tue Sep 24 19:22:29 UTC 2019

On 24/09/2019 20:14, Rainer Duffner wrote:

>> Am 24.09.2019 um 21:11 schrieb Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>:
>>
>> Mainline kernel packages are available from elrepo for el8. Current version is kernel-ml-5.3.x:
>>
>> https://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el8/x86_64/RPMS/ <https://elrepo.org/linux/kernel/el8/x86_64/RPMS/>
>>
>> Is that new enough for you?
>

> Sorry to ask this dumb question, but what’s the disadvantage of using such a kernel?
>
> I assume, some of the newer kernel-features would need special utilities or upgraded versions of the utilities included?

It's not a RHEL (or CentOS) kernel so you lose the stability (kABI),
robustness, testing etc that comes with an Enterprise Linux kernel.
Additionally, as you correctly identify it may break things or not work
/ play well with current userland bits.

It's a use at your own risk offering to allow you to try out features /
functionality that have yet to appear in the distro kernel :-)