[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Liam O'Toole liam.p.otoole at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 20:27:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep, 2019 at 13:41:08 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> Without wanting to sound too pushy, I'm wondering if there is any update on the status of Mate now that Centos 8 has been released?
>
> I would love to jump on C8 and start playing with it, but the lack of Mate is kind of  a showstopper for me at the moment.

If the availability of a particular desktop environment is a
showstopper, then perhaps RHEL and CentOS are not the best choice for
you. RHEL 8 has dropped KDE, never mind Mate. Providing and maintaining
alternative desktop environments over the (long) life cycle of CentOS 8
will require a sustained effort by volunteers over many years. I
wouldn't count on $PREFERRED_DESKTOP_ENVIRONMENT continuing to be
available over that time frame.