[CentOS] How to dump/restore a CentOS 7 system

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Wed Sep 25 16:59:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-09-25 at 11:46 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 2019-09-25 11:31, Xinhuan Zheng wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I guess it is very common for administrative purpose, to dump and
> > restore a CentOS 7 system.
> Though I can not answer OP's question, I have question of my own.
>
> Is this really routine (often) task for Linux sysadmins? I used
> something like that to replicate cluster nodes in the past, but
> kickstart would be routine task for me. dump/restore sounds like
> routine
> from MS Windows world (I hear they "re-image" system if something
> goes
> wrong ;-)
>
> Am I wrong? Do we in Linux world do this routinely?

You are not wrong.  However, I will point out first that dump and
restore are utilities that have been around the Unix/Linux world for a
very long time, rather than something from the M$ world.

The issue of how to restore/copy a system installation is open to
discussion these days.  I have recently been in a situation where
duplicating identical machines is done conveniently with dump and
restore.  I have also been in situations where installing or
reinstalling a system of slightly different configuration is easily
accomplished via kickstart.

It mostly depends on the situation to be addressed at the moment, and
the tools available.  For instance, to perform a one-time installation
when you do not have kickstart set up on your network is a significant
amount of work, and may not be worth the effort of kickstart set-up.

This is one of the benefits of decades of development.  More tools are
available to handle the installation requirements.