[CentOS] CentOS 8

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 17:16:49 UTC 2019

On 9/25/19 7:10 AM, mark wrote:
> I just skimmed through the deprecated, and there's a*lot*. But one hit me
> in the face: if you make a change to /etc/nsswitch.conf, you need to
> REBOOT THE SERVER?

Note, that appears in the "known issues" section, and not deprecations.
And if you look at BZ 132608, you'll see that this was reported as an
issue in 2004.  I would imagine that it has always been this way, and
simply appears in the documentation now.

CentOS 7, for example, includes "files sss" in nsswitch.conf by default,
so that if you enable integration with a directory server it's not
necessary to restart all of the running services.

The BZ entry for that issue seems to indicate that while changes to
nsswitch.conf do still require restarting any daemons that need it (or a
reboot), the change that caused that to impact a user has been reverted,
and the issue has been resolved.