[CentOS] CentOS 8 creates /boot with ext4

Anand Buddhdev

anandb at ripe.net
Fri Sep 27 13:54:16 UTC 2019

I just installed CentOS 8 in a VirtualBox VM, to explore it.
Immediately, I noticed something strange. I insatlled it using a
kickstart file, whose partitioning section is this:

zerombr
clearpart --all --initlabel
reqpart --add-boot
part pv.01 --ondisk=/dev/sda --size=1 --grow
volgroup vg01 pv.01
logvol / --name=lv_root --vgname=vg01 --size=1 --grow
bootloader --driveorder=sda

On CentOS 7, this resulted in an XFS-formatted /boot filesystem. In
CentOS 8, this created an EXT4-formatted /boot filesystem.

I looked through RHEL 8's release notes and other documentation, but
could not find any place that mentions this change. Does anyone know if
this is deliberate, or a bug of some kind?

Regards,
Anand