[CentOS] File server as host for a Windows Server VM?

Erick Perez - Quadrian Enterprises

eperez at quadrianweb.com
Sat Sep 14 16:06:40 UTC 2019

I did that kind of in the past. Now I dont because I have plenty of
resoruces available.
But.
So far you have not provided stats on server usage (cpu,ram) over a
24hour or 7 day 8am-5pm timeframe. So I will asume you have plenty of
usage/performance to spare.
I suggest you to -if possible- replicate the current server setup
somewhere else and then install the KVM and dependencies via yum. That
way you will spot potential problems if any library changes and its
being used by samba.

Unless using SSDs when creating the VM pleae do not use dynamic disk
allocation. MS SQL may be very intensive and you are already sharing
resources, lets not be the i/o intensity of the expanding disk one of
them.
remember SQL server is all about RAM, the more the merrier.
is your partition aligned?

Erick Perez