[CentOS] RPMDB problem

Pete Biggs

pete at biggs.org.uk
Sat Sep 14 21:50:22 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-09-14 at 14:09 -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
> When doing yum operations I get this message at the end of whatever
> yum was doing:
>
> ** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
> brscan4-0.4.8-1.x86_64 is a duplicate with brscan4-0.4.3-1.x86_64
>
> It is true, if I do "rpm -qa | grep brscan" it shows two of them.
>
> what's the best/proper way to deal with this?
> -remove both, reinstall one?
> -remove one? which one? I don't see a feature in rpm (or yum) for
> removing a single one of duplicate packages. How?

In general I try and remove the older one - you can remove specific
versions of duplicates by specifying their full name including the
version. i.e.

   yum remove brscan4-0.4.3-1

but you need to pay particular attention to any warnings or examine
which other packages yum might want to remove.  There will be a reason
why two versions ended up being installed (usually there's a bug or an
install got interrupted half way through). It might be easier to remove
the more recent one first, then do another update.  Bottom line is,
don't use '-y' or automatically press 'y' when doing this!

P.