[CentOS] Replacing sendmail with postfix

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 21 16:58:16 UTC 2019

--On Saturday, September 21, 2019 9:59 PM +1200 Peter
<peter at pajamian.dhs.org> wrote:

>> I use spamassassin via amavisd-new, with messages going postfix ->
>> amavisd -> second postfix (all via SMTP).
>
> This is a good setup, but you may find that you can eliminate the second
> postfix step there and go postfix -> amavisd-new -> dovecot lmtp. Unless
> you need additional processing specifically from postfix after
> amavisd-new, that is.

I've been doing sendmail -> MIMEDefang -> SpamAssassin/clamd and then
sendmail -> procmail -> SpamAssassin. Yeah, SA gets run twice, once to
reject scores > 10 by the milter and then again by each user to incorporate
their Bayes scores. I'd love to run it only once but haven't invested time
in figuring out how to do that. But I only have a few users so it hasn't
been a big enough load to worry about it.

I'm the only one in my family/office doing extensive procmail filtering for
my own mail, as I subscribe to lots of lists and like pre-filtering it all
into separate folders. (I probably have 100-200 folders, so my MUA gets a
workout looking for new mail.) I'd replace the procmail filters with sieve
ones using Dovecot but I still want SpamAssassin to run first to mark the
spam for filtering.

(BTW, pet peeve about Thunderbird MUA: It fails to spot new folders I
create when I add a new procmail filter. I have to go into Thunderbird's
subscription dialog and force it to reload the folder list. I use an old
copy of Mulberry in parallel and it always dependably reloads the folder
list on startup.)