[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Valeri Galtsev

galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 24 22:24:03 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-24 17:06, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 24/09/2019 à 23:09, Frank Cox a écrit :
>> Perhaps now that more people have their hands on Centos 8 and can
>> work with it the folks who know what they're doing for getting
>> desktops running on EL8 (and I'm definitely not one of them) will be
>> able to make further progress.
>
> For what it's worth, I've been using CentOS on servers and desktops for
> years, since 4.x. Even published a book in France about CentOS on the
> desktop, based on 5.3, which sold 3.000 copies.
>
> Last december I decided to part ways with CentOS on the desktop. It's
> still running on all my servers (and those of my clients). Right now I'm
> figuring out CentOS 8.0 on a sandbox server, taking notes and reading
> the RHEL 8 documentation.

I moved servers from CentOS to FreeBSD... but workstations and number
crunchers are all CentOS

> But on the desktop, I've switched to OpenSUSE

I tried SUSE around ver 7. Memory leak in code run as unpiveleged user
was consistently crashing stock SUSE installation. Whereas downloaded
and build kernel from kernel.org (with all default options) on the same
SAUSE box successfully killed offender with OOM killer, and was standing
like a rock. I never came back to SUSE. Incidentally, I consider it
counter productive what SUSE does about configuration: keeps all
configuration in a single yast file; you change one component, yast
touches all actual configuration files... counter productive, will take
you a lot of effort to figure what changed on a given day if something
went wrong after that day. Couldn't figure one funny thing too: why
Germans would use English abbreviation Yet Another System Tool for yast ;-)

Valeri

> Leap, and I'm a happy
> camper now. I can highly recommend it. Sports every major and minor
> desktop environment under the sun, and it's a nice blend of semi-rolling
> releases based on a rock-solid SLES base.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator