[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Liam O'Toole

liam.p.otoole at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 22:54:34 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep, 2019 at 14:48:57 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:27:07 +0100
> Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
> > If the availability of a particular desktop environment is a
> > showstopper, then perhaps RHEL and CentOS are not the best choice for
> > you.
>
> That may be, but in view of the fact that you can even get a version of CDE that works (very well) on Centos 7 (https://github.com/dcantrell/cderpm if you're interested), I find it difficult to believe that a widely used and mature desktop like Mate will just disappear on a widely used and mature Linux distribution like Centos.

I'm not suggesting that it will. A few years ago, soon after the source
code of CDE was released, I downloaded, compiled, and installed CDE in a
CentOS 6 VM. Why? Because I could. But would I conduct any serious
business in that environment? Of course not. And why is that? Because it
receives no enterprise support.

> And since I've been using Centos for everything for a lot of years I'm not in a hurry to change to something else if I can avoid it.
>
> >  Providing and maintaining
> > alternative desktop environments over the (long) life cycle of CentOS 8
> > will require a sustained effort by volunteers over many years.
>
> If that isn't being organized by someone at this time, I would be frankly surprised.

It could well be that someone is organising it. On the other hand, it
could be not. Either way, it will not be supported by RHEL and CentOS.
What happens when a critical vulnerability is discovered in that
software? Who will notify you of it? Who will fix it?

At the time of writing, Mate in EPEL 7 is still at version 1.16. The
upstream version is at 1.22. Have any critical vulnerabilities been
fixed in the meantime? I have no idea. Do you?