[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

wwp

subscript at free.fr
Wed Sep 25 10:37:08 UTC 2019

Hello,

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 11:33:53 +0200 Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 25.09.19 um 08:18 schrieb Ljubomir Ljubojevic:
> > All I need for work that feeds me is one good work environment and that
> > is MATE. All tray icons are visible so I can see if message or mail
> > comes without need to move more then eyeball. And stablity of CentOS
> > makes it best option even though versions of apps are not latest and
> > greatest, it is enough they do the job needed.
>
> Exactly :)
> Could not explain better.

I'm in a total agreement too. Mate (or xfce) on top of CentOS brings me
a desktop I can work in. Work means: as a dev station at work - amongst
other things because it's close to the RHEL 8 system, which is one of
the reference systems we have in our customers community. Works means
also: use it as a dev and workstation at home.

Long time ago I was using xfce, because it was behaving almost like
gnome2 and was able to get gnome applets in its tray (that was a major
one), I think it has lost this ability, at least last time I tried it,
this was not possible.

If Mate will not be available for CentOS 8, I will consider this:
- building Mate from the sources myself (yeah, w/ all deps)
- xfce or icewm from repositories.

For now, I'm postponing my CentOS 8 use until:
1) the live system is available, because I need it to see how it
boots and installs on the target systems I have (where CentOS 7 was a
total failure - only Ubuntu/Deb were OK),
2) we know if Mate is available or definitely not available from
third-party repositories.

Regards,

--
wwp