[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Sep 25 16:27:25 UTC 2019

On 9/25/19 7:30 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:

>> I am guessing that because CentOS releases only every 3-5 years,
>> people forget how much work is done at the beginning of every release.
>> First there is a lack of packages available. Then there is the
>> complaining that the OS is useless because it doesn't have ABC. Then
>> there is finding the people who are challenged enough by the lack of
>> packages to go learn how to package up stuff and make it available.
>> Then there is a section where packages get uniform and together. Then
>> things pretty much stay at that until the next CentOS major release...
>> people either decide they want to skip to the next or just wait it
>> out.
>>
>> So currently we are in the finding out the lack of packages and the
>> complaining stage. The real challenge will be finding the people who
>> see that as a challenge versus a show-stopper and do the next steps.
>>
> Surely this is exactly what the SIGs and CentOS Stream are for:
> developing and contributing to the forthcoming releases of RHEL/CentOS.
> If Mate or whatever is so important to you, then get involved in the
> relevant SIG - which in this case is probably
>
>  https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AlternativeDesktop
>
> personally, and I know this seems a bit heretic around here, but I
> actually like Gnome.

Ding, Ding, ding, Ding .. Right Answer!

If you want it ... package and build it when building on 8 becomes
available via CBS to SIGs.  Should be early next week.

Community part of CentOS is available for you to get involved in a SIG
and build whatever you want to build.  The question is ,, is someone
going to do it.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes