[CentOS] How to dump/restore a CentOS 7 system

Paul Heinlein

heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Sep 25 17:06:35 UTC 2019

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>> I guess it is very common for administrative purpose, to dump and
>> restore a CentOS 7 system.
>
> Though I can not answer OP's question, I have question of my own.
>
> Is this really routine (often) task for Linux sysadmins? I used
> something like that to replicate cluster nodes in the past, but
> kickstart would be routine task for me. dump/restore sounds like
> routine from MS Windows world (I hear they "re-image" system if
> something goes wrong ;-)
>
> Am I wrong? Do we in Linux world do this routinely?

I would not say routinely, but I would say crucially.

The poster child for dump/restore is a machine with commercial
software that is difficult to install or customize, especially one
with an RDBMS system large enough to make dumping and restoring the
data tables an onerous task.

The usual workflow -- kickstart and puppet/ansible/etc -- doesn't work
in that situation.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com