[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Chris Adams

linux at cmadams.net
Wed Sep 25 18:58:36 UTC 2019

Once upon a time, Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net> said:
> Once upon a time, Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> said:
> > the lack of VM snapshot capability is a total deal-breaker for me.
>
> The capability is still there and works just the same as before.  The
> only change is that the new preferred tool for graphical VM management,
> Cockpit, doesn't yet support making snapshots.  virt-manager is still
> there for now (presumably until Cockpit grows all the necessary
> support), and the underlying virsh support hasn't changed.

To add: I forgot that virt-manager snapshot functionality already didn't
work in RHEL 7, because of upstream support changes and underlying
libvirt complications.  While it is possible to manage snapshots
directly with libvirt (via the virsh CLI tool), it's a little
complicated to do and the layered tools don't support it (at least not
yet).

AFAIK, this isn't anything new with RHEL 8, it's just documented now.
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>