[CentOS] Update to Centos 7.7 / Arch ppc64le / Problem with nvidia driver

Ralf Aumüller

Ralf.Aumueller at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Sep 27 07:16:17 UTC 2019

Hello Fabian,

On 26.09.19 09:46, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 25/09/2019 10:30, Ralf Aumüller wrote:
>> today I updated a CentOS 7.6 ppc64le machine to CentOS 7.7. After reboot
>> to the new kernel (4.18.0-80.7.2.el7.ppc64le) dkms could not build the
>> nvidia-module.
...>> Any comments?

thanks for Your quick response.

> Well, if you use that kernel, that means you're on Power9 variant, and
> that architecture doesn't exist anymore upstream (so no RHEL 7.7 for
> Power9).
> As almost all packages are just ppc64le (which still exist  upstream),
> the decision was to still provide 7.7.1908 for Power9 users, but using
> the kernel from CentOS 8, rebuilt for CentOS 7. (same is also true for
> aarch64)
>
> For that kernel to be built, we had to use newer gcc, that you can
> find/use through devtoolset-8 :
> http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7/sclo/ppc64le/rh/devtoolset-8/

Ok. So I try to install devtoolset-8 and build the nvidia-driver with that gcc.

> Curious : which kind of machine do you have that has both a Power9 and
> nvidia ? that seems to *not* be an IBM node, but a kind of openpower
> workstation ?

It'a a IBM Power System AC922 (8335-GTH) with Nvidia Tesla V100 graphic cards.
Supercomputer "Summit" uses this nodes (https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/summit/).

> PS2 : worth creating a bug report on https://bugs.centos.org for easier
> tracking and also indexing, so that other people in your situation would
> follow the bug report (index by crawlers) and eventually discussion can
> happen there.

I will do that.

Best regards,
Ralf