[CentOS] CentOS linux VS CentOS stream, which to choose for learning?

Strahil Nikolov

hunter86_bg at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 28 15:15:14 UTC 2019

On September 28, 2019 3:36:10 AM GMT+03:00, Yang Guo <thuguoy13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I am a student and would like to use Centos to learn how to use the
>linux.
>Two versions of CentOS available: CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream.
>
>Which one is better for learning Linux?

Hi Yang,

Every distro is OK for learning purposes.
The main difference is :
CentOS8  is a RHEL 8  stripped of any proprietary (licensed) stuff and built based on Red Hat's source rpms.
CentOS Stream should be a mixture of Fedora (Developing ground for future RHEL technology - highly unstable)  and pure CentOS. As per my understansing any future features for RHEL  will be first deployed on CentOS Stream before moved to RHEL.

Still,  the above could have any gaps - so do not take anything for granted.
I would recommend you to start either with CentOS 7.7 (quite stable and reliable)  and later move to v8.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov