[CentOS] Pidgin fails to connect google

Fri Sep 27 17:33:48 UTC 2019
Pete Geenhuizen <pete at geenhuizen.net>

I recently upgraded to Centos 7.7 and when I rebooted everything seemed
to be OK except that pidgin failed to  connect to gtalk with the error
SSL Handshake Failed
After trying several configuration changes with no luck I tried pidgin
on a host that was still running Centos 7.6 and it had the same error.
Based on that I'm concluding that it doesn't appear to have anything to
do with Centos 7,7 but that the failure is coincidental.
Does anyone know what the problem is and how to resolve it?
Thanks
Pete

--
Unencumbered by the thought process.