[CentOS] Brother HL-L2360DW printing quality

Fri Sep 20 03:40:54 UTC 2019
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 08:25:48PM -0400, H wrote:
> On 09/19/2019 08:23 PM, H wrote:
> > I have the above printer but have not been able to resolve issues with the printing quality in CentOS 7. The test page prints fine but when I print PDF-documents, most recently using Chinese fonts, it is lacking and the pages very hard to read. The settings in the Mate Cups configuration panel are fine and set to 600 dpi, the settings in the printer menu are all OK yet it prints more like maybe 150 or even 75 dpi.
> >
> > Any suggestion what might be wrong?
> >
> I should have added that the "toner save mode" is off and I also tried to set it to "thick paper" with no difference. I am printing on regular copy/printer paper.

do these same documents print in much better quality on other
printers? From the same Linux box?

Are they "text" PDFs, or "image" PDFs? where what I call an "image"
PDF is a series of pages that are each an image of a page, not the stream
of text that makes up the page.

I've encountered such images before and you're stuck with whatever
quality they have, often poor.

If a more normal PDF that just contains the actual text, is it possible
that the Chinese font(s) on your system are low quality? Or if they
contain embedded fonts, that those fonts are low quality?

I don't know offhand how to find out if any particular document contains
embedded fonts, but I imagine there are tools that will report that.

Good luck!

Fred