[CentOS] Replacing sendmail with postfix (was: deprecations leading up to C8)

Fri Sep 20 21:07:46 UTC 2019
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Once upon a time, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> said:
> Perfect. I think the only other significant customizations I have
> are lines to use the MIMEDefang and OpenDKIM milters. When last I
> looked into migrating, I recall that Postfix handled milters just
> fine.

Milters work a little different under postfix IIRC... I haven't tried
them (which is a little sad, since I think I may have been the first
person to write a sendmail milter :) ).

> Meanwhile, I'd considered replacing procmail with the Dovecot
> delivery program to get access to Sieve filtering but didn't see how
> to easily invoke SpamAssassin as I do now in /etc/procmailrc. Is
> Procmail still the default delivery agent in RHEL8?

Postfix can use lmtp or procmail (I don't remember which is default).
IIRC sieve may not provide external scripting for security reasons.

I use spamassassin via amavisd-new, with messages going postfix ->
amavisd -> second postfix (all via SMTP).  It's more complicated, and
not really necessary for the small setup (but I run larger mail servers
with that setup, so I do the same for my personal servers as well).
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>