[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Tue Sep 24 20:48:57 UTC 2019
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:27:07 +0100
Liam O'Toole wrote:

> If the availability of a particular desktop environment is a
> showstopper, then perhaps RHEL and CentOS are not the best choice for
> you.

That may be, but in view of the fact that you can even get a version of CDE that works (very well) on Centos 7 (https://github.com/dcantrell/cderpm if you're interested), I find it difficult to believe that a widely used and mature desktop like Mate will just disappear on a widely used and mature Linux distribution like Centos.

And since I've been using Centos for everything for a lot of years I'm not in a hurry to change to something else if I can avoid it.

>  Providing and maintaining
> alternative desktop environments over the (long) life cycle of CentOS 8
> will require a sustained effort by volunteers over many years.

If that isn't being organized by someone at this time, I would be frankly surprised.