[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Tue Sep 24 21:09:10 UTC 2019
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 16:55:19 -0400
Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Nothing has changed since the September 16 answer I gave:
>
> This is more of a question for the EPEL lists versus here. The current
> status is that desktops are harder to package up in EL8 and only a
> less feature version is available at the moment. At the moment the
> only one I know of is KDE is half implemented in EPEL Playground and
> will be reimplemented as a module when EPEL gains the ability to do
> modules. At that point interested people can also do the work to make
> Mate/Cinnamon/etc available.

Thanks ever so much for the update, even though as you say nothing much has changed.

Perhaps now that more people have their hands on Centos 8 and can work with it the folks who know what they're doing for getting desktops running on EL8 (and I'm definitely not one of them) will be able to make further progress.

I sincerely appreciate the update, though.  Since Mate is widely used, I suspect other folks who follow this mailing list would also be interested progress reports and release announcements when and if something becomes available.