[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Wed Sep 25 13:25:57 UTC 2019
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 9/24/19 10:55 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 15:41, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
>>
>> Without wanting to sound too pushy, I'm wondering if there is any update on the status of Mate now that Centos 8 has been released?
>>
>> I would love to jump on C8 and start playing with it, but the lack of Mate is kind of  a showstopper for me at the moment.
>>

> Nothing has changed since the September 16 answer I gave:
>
> This is more of a question for the EPEL lists versus here. The current
> status is that desktops are harder to package up in EL8 and only a
> less feature version is available at the moment. At the moment the
> only one I know of is KDE is half implemented in EPEL Playground and
> will be reimplemented as a module when EPEL gains the ability to do
> modules. At that point interested people can also do the work to make
> Mate/Cinnamon/etc available.

As of now, I have a working MATE DM on CentOS 8. It's a hack though, I
used Fedora repositories. But that means compiling MATE in EPEL should
be straightforward, just recompile Fedora 28 packages.

I used Fedora 28 repo file  and Fedora 28 GPG keys (links are bellow),
unpacked then to proper directory and in Fedora repo files I changed
"$releasever" to "28".
I also installed yum-plugin-priorities and in all CentOS repo's added
"priority=1" and in all Fedora repos added "priority=2".

Then I ran following commands (something like this, I experimented some):

yum install python2-six
yum install mate* -x mate*devel* -x mate-menu
yum groupinstall "MATE" --skip-broken
yum groupinstall "MATE Desktop" --skip-broken
echo "exec /usr/bin/mate-session" >> ~/.xinitrc
reboot
and then selected MATE in login screen.

Links to rpm's:
https://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/archive.fedoraproject.org/fedora/linux/releases/28/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/f/fedora-repos-28-1.noarch.rpm