[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Wed Sep 25 13:50:44 UTC 2019
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 08:22:39AM -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:04:01PM -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> > I might end up switching to Mint.
>
> I'm not sure that's a huge threat to CentOS, they're quite different.
>
> CentOS 7 really only supported GNOME3, largely because Red Hat is so
> involved in GNOME development.  MATE support on CentOS 7 suffered
> because newer versions were hard to get to work on such an older
> base.  CentOS 8's modularity actually might make multiple DE's easier
> to support in EPEL, given time.

that's all true!

Despite my public whining, I am aware that Mate comes from epel,
not CentOS.

I also tend to wait as much as a  year after a .0 release until many
of the installation or usage issues have been hashed out and understood,
so by then there is likely to be a Mate as well as other DEs available.

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding