[CentOS] Centos 8 Mate?

Fri Sep 27 06:00:58 UTC 2019
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Le 25/09/2019 à 00:24, Valeri Galtsev a écrit :
> I tried SUSE around ver 7. Memory leak in code run as unpiveleged user
> was consistently crashing stock SUSE installation. Whereas downloaded
> and build kernel from kernel.org (with all default options) on the same
> SAUSE box successfully killed offender with OOM killer, and was standing
> like a rock. I never came back to SUSE.

SUSE 7 goes back to 1994. It's fair to say the distribution has gone a
long (!) way since.

OpenSUSE Leap is an interesting mix of base system + X11 based on SLES,
a bit like CentOS is based on upstream Red Hat. On top of that, you get
the latest stable releases for KDE, GNOME, LibreOffice and applications
and packages galore in some kind of semi-rolling release.

I've been running OpenSUSE Leap KDE on all my client's desktop
computers, including our local school, and it's a crisp and clean and
rock-solid workhorse. I'm also running it on my workstation and on my
old MacBook Pro, in replacement of Mac OS.

On servers I'm still a die-hard CentOS user.

I've written a detailed blog article about choosing an OS, based on past
experiences.

  * https://www.microlinux.fr/choix-os/

Cheers,

Niki