[CentOS] CentOS 8.1 cron does not send mail

Mon Apr 6 10:58:55 UTC 2020
Tobias Kirchhofer <collect at shift.agency>

On 6 Apr 2020, at 12:21, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 04:16, Tobias Kirchhofer <collect at shift.agency>
> wrote:

>>> Meanwhile we found the reason for the bug - actually we do not know
>>> if
>>> it is related to a specific version of CentOS or a specific kind of
>>> command as cron job.
>>>
>>> Let me explain what we have:
>>>
>>> - sssd for ssh login of ldap user
>>> - crond for cron jobs :)
>>>
>>> If we stop sssd and restart crond cron starts to send mails again!
>>>
>>> We started with sssd on newly provisioned machines with CentOS 8. We
>>> do not know if this is the same on CentOS 7.
>>>
>>> We send mails only to root. So no remote user is involved in cron.
>>>
>>> From our perspective it is a bug. How could we dive deeper to find
>>> the
>>> specific reason?
>>
>> To sum it up:
>>
>> - Install CentOS 8
>> - Enabled and started crond
>> - crond sends emails properly
>> - Enable and start sssd
>> - crond stops sending emails and starts journal logging
>> - Restart crond (or reboot)
>> - crond sends emails and stops journal logging
>>
>> It is a matter of order. At boot time crond starts after sssd.
>>
>> This situation is bearable if you know it but has cost us some hours.
>>
>> Thanks for reading and sorry for this public clarification process ;)
>>
>> Tobias
>>

> So it sounds like that crond needs to have sssd as a pre-dependency so
> it
> doesn't start until sssd is running?

No - if crond is already running and sssd is initially set and starting
(after crond) crond does not send mail. For whatever reason. At boot
time things are okay, crond starts after sssd. So if sssd is already
there, crond is fine. If sssd starts after crond, crond is not fine.

It is a kind of race condition which takes place only in the beginning
when sssd is set. Usually crond is in this use case already running,
because it is part of (our) base install.

Hope this is clear :)

collect at shift.agency