[CentOS] CentOS repo question

Wed Apr 22 13:25:44 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 4/21/20 2:09 PM, Tony Molloy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just installed a test laptop with CentOS Stream 8.1.
>
> I notice that the default install has both CentOS-Base and
> CentOS-Base-Appstream repos enabled. Is that necessary, or should I
> just have the Appstream repos enabled.
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble updating the
> installation. The problem seems to be some installed rpms seem to
> depend on updates from the CentOS-Base repos and others seem to depend
> on similar updates from the CentOS-Base-Appstream repos and you can't
> install both.
>
> A typical error looks like this.
>
> cannot install both qt5-qttools-common-5.12.5-1.el8.0.1.noarch and
> qt5-qttools-common-5.11.1-9.el8.noarch
>
> qt5-qttools-common-5.11.1-9.el8.noarch is from CentOS-Base
>
> qt5-qttools-common-5.12.5-1.el8.0.1.noarch is from
> CentOS-Base-Appstream
>
> So updating some installed rpm depends on updating to the Appstream
> version of qt5-qttools and some other installed rpm depends on the
> original CentOS-Base version of qt5-qttools.
>
> I've played around with --allowerasing --best and --nobest but still
> can't get a clean update.

We are working out Stream issues right now .. but no, it is not
necessary to have all the repos active.  You only have to have one set
of Base, Appstream, and Extras enabled (CentOS Stream or CentOS Linux).

Stream standup is very much a work in progress at this point , but it is
what i am using as my personal workstation (for whatever that is worth).

You SHOULD be able to have both sets enabled though .. and will be able
to once we have all the issues solved .. but i don't have them both
enabled on my workstation right now, just CentOS Stream.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes