[CentOS] CentOS repo question

Tue Apr 21 19:09:45 UTC 2020
Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>

Hi All,

I've just installed a test laptop with CentOS Stream 8.1.

I notice that the default install has both CentOS-Base and
CentOS-Base-Appstream repos enabled. Is that necessary, or should I
just have the Appstream repos enabled.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm having trouble updating the
installation. The problem seems to be some installed rpms seem to
depend on updates from the CentOS-Base repos and others seem to depend
on similar updates from the CentOS-Base-Appstream repos and you can't
install both.

A typical error looks like this.

cannot install both qt5-qttools-common-5.12.5-1.el8.0.1.noarch and
qt5-qttools-common-5.11.1-9.el8.noarch

qt5-qttools-common-5.11.1-9.el8.noarch is from CentOS-Base

qt5-qttools-common-5.12.5-1.el8.0.1.noarch is from
CentOS-Base-Appstream

So updating some installed rpm depends on updating to the Appstream
version of qt5-qttools and some other installed rpm depends on the
original CentOS-Base version of qt5-qttools.

I've played around with --allowerasing --best and --nobest but still
can't get a clean update.

Thanks,

Tony
--