[CentOS] C8 and backup solution

Fri Apr 3 13:58:15 UTC 2020
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Once upon a time, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> said:
> On 4/3/20 8:34 AM, John Pierce wrote:
> >Do note, backup systems that use rsync or similar file by file copies of a
> >running system do not make coherent atomic snapshots, so things like
> >relational databases should be excluded from those, and backed by database
> >tools
>
> Long ago I learned to back up databases by dumping them (with a flag
> "lock" or similar to make sure no changed are made during dump), and
> backing up dump file.

It isn't just databases - there are other things that backing up
individual files one at a time is not so good.  The best way to handle
that is to freeze/snapshot the whole filesystem, and then back up the
snapshot.  This can be scripted pretty easily if the filesystem is on
LVM.

Even better is to freeze _all_ filesystems simultaneously - this is
usually easiest if the system is a virtual machine and/or the storage is
on a SAN with snapshot capabilities.
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>