[CentOS] firefox unable to load pkcs11 module

Sun Apr 5 20:27:31 UTC 2020
nschehovin at yahoo.com <nschehovin at yahoo.com>

 Hi Tony,
Have you solved this problem yet?I took another approach and used CACkey which supportsUS Government PIV cards including the CAC.  In my case I set it up on Linux Mint but there is an rpm version of CACKey for 32 or 64 bit Centos.Here is the process I went through.
- setup CAC card by following instructions on:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonAccessCard
sudo apt-get install libpcsclite1 pcscd pcsc-tools
- download CACkey from https://cackey.rkeene.org/fossil/index
sudo dpkg -i cackey_0.7.5-1_amd64.deb
The above command failed with:
"dpkg: error processing archive cackey_0.7.5-1_amd64.deb (--install):
 unable to create '/libcackey.so.dpkg-new' (while processing './usr/lib64/libcackey.so'): No such file or directory
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 cackey_0.7.5-1_amd64.deb"

- as root I created the directory /usr/lib64 and ran the command again!!!!!!It Worked!!!!!!!
- ran command pcsc_scan and it found my CAC
- had to manually install the DoD root certificates
- certificates were manually installed one at a time for both Thunderbird and Firefox
It turned out to be much easier than I thought it would to get my PIV working on a Linux machine.
Hope that helps.Ed

    On Thursday, April 2, 2020, 1:37:32 PM EDT, Tony Schreiner <anthony.schreiner at bc.edu> wrote:

 On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM Tony Schreiner <anthony.schreiner at bc.edu>
wrote:

> CentOS 7, In firefox -> privacy & security -> certificates -> security
> devices
> i am trying to load the pkcs11 modules, but get the error  unable to load.
>
> I am following the directions at
> https://piv.idmanagement.gov/engineering/firefox/
>
> I have installed opensc and openssl-pkcs11, which
> contains /usr/lib64/openssl/engines/pkcs11.so
> and am using that is the module
>
> Has anybody here done that, and can offer advice?

Answering myself, though not completely solved.

I should have instead been loading /usr/lib64/opensc-pksc11.so