[CentOS] CentOS 8.1 cron does not send mail

Mon Apr 6 08:16:29 UTC 2020
Tobias Kirchhofer <collect at shift.agency>

On 5 Apr 2020, at 21:20, Tobias Kirchhofer wrote:

> Meanwhile we found the reason for the bug - actually we do not know if
> it is related to a specific version of CentOS or a specific kind of
> command as cron job.
>
> Let me explain what we have:
>
> - sssd for ssh login of ldap user
> - crond for cron jobs :)
>
> If we stop sssd and restart crond cron starts to send mails again!
>
> We started with sssd on newly provisioned machines with CentOS 8. We
> do not know if this is the same on CentOS 7.
>
> We send mails only to root. So no remote user is involved in cron.
>
> From our perspective it is a bug. How could we dive deeper to find the
> specific reason?

To sum it up:

- Install CentOS 8
- Enabled and started crond
- crond sends emails properly
- Enable and start sssd
- crond stops sending emails and starts journal logging
- Restart crond (or reboot)
- crond sends emails and stops journal logging

It is a matter of order. At boot time crond starts after sssd.

This situation is bearable if you know it but has cost us some hours.

Thanks for reading and sorry for this public clarification process ;)

Tobias

collect at shift.agency