[CentOS] Upgrade from Centos 7 to Centos 8

Wed Apr 8 16:26:28 UTC 2020
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 12:17:31PM -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 05:50:44PM +0200, Stefano Simonucci wrote:
> > I followed the directions found on the web (by installing dnf and so on),
> > but when I tried to install centos-release I get
>
> Unfortunately, there are a lot of web sites out there with bad
> information.
>
> There's no support for updating from C7 to C8.  It's likely to result
> in a broken system even if you are careful and know what you're
> doing.

I would also keep in mind, depending upon your use of C7, that a lot of
packages have not yet been created for CentOS-8. I had to build several
from srpms (some from older Fedora ones, like F28 and F30) and some from
C7 srpms.  (By the way, if anyone made an rpm for C8 for weechat, please
send me a direct email, I've been unable to get a version that works with
weechat's python support).

Anyway, figure out your essential programs and make sure they're available
in CentOS-8. You will almost certainly want to enable the EPEL-testing repo
as well as a few others (such as rpmfusion if you're using any multimedia
stuff).

If you're using it as a basic server without X, you're probably alright.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6