[CentOS] Strangeness on X11 screen capture

Fri Apr 17 16:06:52 UTC 2020
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, Jerry Geis wrote:

> When I take a screen shot I get "different" things.
> I use:
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
> /usr/bin/xwd -silent -root -out screen; convert screen screen.png
>
> I tried import also for the screen capture and its the same random images.
>
> Granted the images are all things I have showing previously - but most
> times its not what is showing now.

My guess is that it the result of applications,
e.g. video players, that bypass X.
xwd reads the appropriate buffers,
but those buffers are not what is on the screen.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards