[CentOS] HPC question: torques replacement

Fri Apr 17 16:28:13 UTC 2020

Dear Experts,

I know there are many HPC (high performance computing) experts on this
list. I'd like to ask your advise.

Almost two decades ago I chose to go with OpenPBS (turned down condor
and other alternatives for whatever reason) for clusters and number
crunchers I support for the Department at the university. It turned out
to be not bad, long lived choice. At some point I smoothly migrated to
torque which was advertised as open source project (based on PBS, but it
was much less hassle to compile...). Torque ceased to be open source two
years ago, it is proprietary now. At some point I have to migrate away
from torque for this reason. One of the ways would be to switch (back)
to open source PBS Pro (pbspro.org).

I wonder what other options experts would recommend. Hopefully, not too
far from torque (or PBS) from user prospective.

Thanks a lot for all your advises!

Valeri
Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator