[CentOS] slow performance on company production server I need help

Wed Apr 22 16:15:26 UTC 2020
Christopher Wensink <cwensink at five-star-plastics.com>

Smartctl tests have passed:

[root at daisy dev]# smartctl -H -d 3ware,0 /dev/twa0
smartctl 5.43 2016-09-28 r4347 [x86_64-linux-2.6.32-042stab142.1] (local
build)
Copyright (C) 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

The problem may have been the USB disk the whole time, and not one of
the internal disks, it's surprising that the performance of the entire
system would suffer that much from a faulting external USB drive.

To monitor the system and ensure that was the root cause, other than
hdparm, what other suggested performance tests should I run to monitor
the performance of the system as a whole?  What is everyone's top rated
performance monitoring commands / apps that can be dumped into cron jobs
or logwatch, etc?

Chris