[CentOS] Tomcat or what on CentOS 8?

Tue Apr 28 18:35:07 UTC 2020
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> Hi,
>
> We're running some web apps on CentOS 6 on Tomcat 6 shipped by the
> distribution.
>
> As time goes by we'd like to move on to CentOS 8 and Tomcat 9 or whatever
> is appropriate.
>
> My question is, what do others use now that Tomcat is not shipped anymore
> with CentOS?
>
> Do you run some JBoss/WildFly instead or still running Tomcat?
>
> And, how do you install/manage those installations. Do you have RPM
> packaged versions or fiddle with tarballs?
>
> Since this is a quite standard setup for web apps I'm really wondering how
> everybody is doing it these days?

Anybody care to comment? I can't believe nobody's running Java servlet
containers on CentOS since it's a very common way to provide webservices.

I've just checked our FreeBSD box and it provides:

root at freebsd:~ # pkg search tomcat
tomcat-native-1.2.23     Tomcat native library
tomcat7-7.0.92           Open-source Java web server by Apache, 7.x branch
tomcat85-8.5.54          Open-source Java web server by Apache, 8.5.x branch
tomcat9-9.0.34           Open-source Java web server by Apache, 9.0.x branch
tomcat-devel-10.0.0.M4   Open-source Java web server by Apache, 10.0.x branch

root at freebsd:~ # pkg search wildfly
wildfly90-9.0.2_2        Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly10-10.1.0_2       Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly11-11.0.0_1       Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly12-12.0.0_1       Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly13-13.0.0_1       Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly14-14.0.1         Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly15-15.0.1         Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly16-16.0.0         Replacement for JBoss Application Server
wildfly17-17.0.1         WildFly is a Java Jakarta EE8 application server
developed by Red Hat
wildfly18-18.0.1         WildFly is a Java Jakarta EE8 application server
developed by Red Hat

Additionally there are also packages of Geronimo and Glassfish as
alternatives.

If I don't find usable RPMs for CentOS 8 I'm going to build our own as I
do for other things as well. But I just can't believe they don't already
exist.

Regards,
Simon