[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sun Aug 2 11:59:06 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 8/2/20 2:04 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:

> Il 01/08/20 22:03, Greg Bailey ha scritto:

>>> I have two servers running Centos 7 on apple hardware (one mac-mini
>>> and one mac server).  They both failed to reboot a few days ago.  So
>>> perhaps whatever anti-boot bug hit Centos 8, also hit Centos 7.  I
>>> can't tell what version got updated since the system simply fails to
>>> boot.  I don't even get a grub screen. I'll have to rebuild the
>>> systems from scratch.
>>>

>> You should be able to boot off of installation media into rescue mode,
>> and downgrade the grub2* and/or shim* RPMs.
>>
>> -Greg
>>
> I did the downgrade on a fresh install of c8.2 but yum said that all
> selected packages (grub2,shim...) are already to the lowest version and
> the downgrade is not possibile, ending with "nothing to do".

Ok .. We are running through some final testing now for CentOS Linux 8
and CentOS Stream .. updates later today for EL8.

For CentOS Linux 7 .. I just pushed the latest shim packages (we had to
get these signed by Microsoft .. as do all distros that do shim.
Microsoft is the official CA for secureboot.

So in the next few hours, after the mirrors sync up .. you should be
able to fix any EL7 machines.

I'll post here again once we have pushed the EL8 and CentOS Stream updates.