[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sun Aug 2 17:04:41 UTC 2020
Jon LaBadie <jcu at labadie.us>

On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 07:16:25AM -0700, david wrote:

> > <snip>

> > You just need to reinstall the kernel and it should work.
> >

> Sorry for being so ignorant, but I don't understand "just reinstall the
> kernel".  I don't know how to translate that into a specific yum or rpm
> command.
>
> However, since this is a crash-and-burn system, I'm going back to a virgin
> install with netinstall of 7 2003.  I'll let you know what the results are.

Using dnf instead I would get my latest installed kernel version number:

  $ dnf list installed kernel
  Installed Packages
  kernel.x86_64         3.10.0-1127.el7               @base
  kernel.x86_64         3.10.0-1127.8.2.el7           @updates
  kernel.x86_64         3.10.0-1127.10.1.el7          @updates
  kernel.x86_64         3.10.0-1127.13.1.el7          @updates
  kernel.x86_64         3.10.0-1127.18.2.el7          @updates

Then do:

  $ sudo dnf reinstall kernel*3.10.0-1127.18.2*

HTH
jon
Jon H. LaBadie                  jcu at labadie.us