[CentOS] Laptop and NFS homedir

Wed Aug 26 13:22:24 UTC 2020
Richard G <grainger at gmail.com>

> On 26 Aug 2020, at 14:08, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:08:56PM +0100, isdtor wrote:
>> Are there any documented best practices for using NFS home
>> directories on laptops?
>
> I'd say: Don't do it.

I would echo this. I experimented with networked home directories for laptop users for a while and never managed to find anything that resembled a nice experience. Even on Windows it mostly sucks. I don’t expect this reality has changed much.

I would instead look at cloud sync clients. The open source Linux OneDrive client is pretty good these days for example.

Of course the “cloud” end can also be on-premise using OwnCloud or NextCloud or whatever the latest cool thing is.