[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sat Aug 1 15:10:50 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 8/1/20 5:54 AM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> You said that in the centos infrastructure only one server got the problem.
> What are the conditions that permit the breakage? There is a particular
> configuration (hw/sw) case that match always the problem or it is random?
I experienced the issue on a Dell Precision M6700 (UEFI, Core i7-3740QM)
on the first attempt at update; I recovered by rolling back and
reinstalling grub2-*; I then updated on the command line with dnf update
and now that same hardware that crashed out the first time is working
fine with the same package versions.  It seems to be intermittent, and I
can't reproduce it.