[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sat Aug 1 13:56:05 UTC 2020
david <david at daku.org>

At 02:54 AM 8/1/2020, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
>Hi Johnny,
>thank you very much for clarification.
>
>You said that in the centos infrastructure only one server got the problem.
>What are the conditions that permit the breakage? There is a particular
>configuration (hw/sw) case that match always the problem or it is random?
>
>Thank you

I have two servers running Centos 7 on apple hardware (one mac-mini
and one mac server).  They both failed to reboot a few days ago.  So
perhaps whatever anti-boot bug hit Centos 8, also hit Centos 7.  I
can't tell what version got updated since the system simply fails to
boot.  I don't even get a grub screen.  I'll have to rebuild the
systems from scratch.

David