[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sun Aug 2 15:23:54 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 11:06, david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> > > Sorry for being so ignorant, but I don't
> > > understand "just reinstall the kernel".  I don't
> > > know how to translate that into a specific yum or rpm command.
> >
> >I agree  it is a lot of shorthand because of expectations. In the end
> >we (the list) don't know what you have on your system or what state it
> >is in. In order to get that information to help we would need you to
> >try the following:
> >
> >1. boot using a working USB/cdrom/netboot path and installer
> >2. choose the rescue mode
> >3. have the rescue mount the disks as local and chroot into the
> >system. << if possible have the system also bring up networking >>
> >
> >Then
> >yum list kernel shim grub2 mokutil
> >
> >It would also help to know which kind of Mac Mini it is (year, model,
> >firmware versions). Apple changes the internal hardware of these
> >things and how they boot so if there it may be that a particular model
> >is more affected than others.
>

> How does one obtain that information?  There's nothing written on the box.

I don't have any access to a Mac Mini to help further than this general help:
First I would search google for "how to obtain model version info on mac mini"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201894

Then depending on how the mac mini is being booted (using the windows
compatibility mode or some other method) I would look for howtos on
how to update the firmware.

After that it is time to learn the Mac magic key boot sequences. The
Mac isn't exactly a PC and its UEFI does not have a standard menu
front end like many PC UEFI.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796

--