[CentOS] 8.2.2004 Latest yum update renders machine unbootable

Sun Aug 2 22:23:22 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 18:13, Robert G (Doc) Savage via CentOS
<centos at centos.org> wrote:

> [...]

The buggy package is the shim package. If you don't have it on your
system then you should not be affected.

> When I run "yum list kernel shim grub2 mokutil" all I get back are the three installed kernel packages. Reverting to the old fashioned "rpm -qa | grep kernel-4 ; rpm -qa | grep shim ; rpm -qa | grep grub2 ; rpm -qa | grep mokutil" I get:
>

> kernel-4.18.0-147.8.1.el8_1.x86_64
> kernel-4.18.0-193.14.2.el8_2.x86_64
> kernel-4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64
> grub2-tools-2.02-87.el8_2.x86_64
> grub2-pc-2.02-87.el8_2.x86_64
> grub2-pc-modules-2.02-87.el8_2.noarch
> grub2-common-2.02-87.el8_2.noarch
> grub2-tools-efi-2.02-87.el8_2.x86_64
> grub2-tools-minimal-2.02-87.el8_2.x86_64
> grub2-tools-extra-2.02-87.el8_2.x86_64
>

> I apparently do not have either shim or mokutil packages installed. I'm not sure what this means. Am I not using EFI boot?

use the df command. If you are using EFI then it will report /boot/EFI
as a partition. If it doesn't then I would assume you are using BIOS.

> I have local copies of the earlier v2.02-81 grub2 packages. Would it be worthwhile to replace my v2.02-87 grub2 packages, then add this line to /etc/dnf/dnf.conf:
>

> exclude=grub shim mokutil
>

> as previously advised?

Since the problem is the shim package and you don't seem to have it..
I would say exclusion is not needed.