[CentOS] rsync upgrade

Thu Aug 6 20:00:46 UTC 2020
Christopher Wensink <cwensink at five-star-plastics.com>

The problem that I keep running into is, our synology backup device
(RS3618xs) has an option to make a connection to each Linux VM, and our
file server's backup keeps failing every night with the error message:

"The samba shared folder settings of the source data cannot support
backup.  Please disable "store dos attributes" and "vss objects".

In smb.conf the only reference to store dos attributes is a commented
out line, and nothing references vss objects.

This error is coming up on a new vm running Centos 7.8.2003 (Core),
Samba 4.10.4, rsync 3.1.2.

The exact same setup on the old vm running Centos6.10 (Final), Samba
3.6.23-53.el6_10, rsync 3.0.6 with the same files which have DOS
attributes on them, and the backup works fine.

Other VM's running the same command structure using the same version of
Centos 7 work without issues.

Per Synology support the issue is the files that contain DOS attributes
are breaking the backup.

Is anyone aware of issues with files that contain DOS attributes
breaking rsync backups on Centos7.8.2003 with Samba 4.10.4 and Rsync 3.1.2?

Chris

On 8/6/2020 2:10 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
> On 06/08/2020 17:30, Jack Bailey via CentOS wrote:
>> On 2020-08-06 08:45, J Martin Rushton via CentOS wrote:
>>> You'll need to upgrade to CentOS8.
>>>
>>> C7 is at rsync 3.1.2-10, and will not go above 3.1.2 ever.
>>>
>>> C8.2 is at 3.1.3-7, C8 will always be on 3.1.3
>>>
>>> Martin
>>
>> Another option is to build rsync from source, which is what I did to
>> try out the zstd compression.
>>

> Or you could try rebuilding the latest fedora SRPM on el7 (or the
> RHEL8 SRPM if that is new enough for you). Sometimes it's straight
> forward, other times this approach may fail with newer build
> requirements than those provided by el7.
>
> Worth a try though.

Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator
Five Star Plastics, Inc