[CentOS] CentOS 8 kernel-4.18.0-193 shim issue

Tue Aug 18 00:05:46 UTC 2020
david <david at daku.org>

At 07:11 AM 8/17/2020, you wrote:
>On 8/13/20 11:23 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > Is it safe to allow the 193 series kernel update now?  Last time I tried
> > that my system refused to boot.  I had to roll back to the 4.18.0-147
> > kernel to get my machine to reboot.
> >
> > Since that happened I've been watching this mail list for
> > acknowledgement that the problem has been corrected while refusing the
> > kernel update.  I may have missed the announcement that the issue was
> > resolved and the the update is now approved.
> >

>It 'SHOULD' be good.  We announced it over the same weekend it was broken.
>
>That does not mean every single combination of firmware, hardware, etc
>on every possible machine frm every manufacturer will work.  But, we
>have had no reports of failure since the updates.

Ummmm..............

except for apple hardware.  My Mac-mini runs just file as long as this text:
   exclude=grub2* shim* mokutil
is added to the end of the file /etc/yum.conf

and executing
   yum -y update
and rebooting works just fine.  HOWEVER, if I
remove that 'exclude' line from yum.conf, run
'yum update', and then reboot, the system is
unbootable.  I end up with a blank screen, no
grub anything.  I have also been unable to
recover from this.  Therefore, that exclude line stays.

I'm sorry about the delay in responding; I wanted
to verify this on a 'crash-and-burn' MacMini.

David