[CentOS] CentOS and mdadm

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:20:23 UTC 2020

On 12/1/20 3:48 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> If anyone can explain the exact meaning of --metadata, I'd be grateful.

I think the man page is pretty clear on that one.  There are two
different versions of the metadata block, and the second one (1.x) can
be stored at different locations depending on your purpose. For example,
if you want to MD RAID (mirror) your EFI System partition, you can store
the metadata that identifies the partition as an MD RAID component at
the end of the partition. The UEFI firmware will ignore the metadata and
read the partition as if it were not a member (and that's OK as long as
it's read-only).  However, a partition with metadata at the end would be
difficult to resize, so that's not the preferred location for most
components.

> Oh, and is it OK to use --metadata=1.2 in CentOS 7.x and 8.x ?

Yes.

> 2. I'm regularly encountering the mdadm --misc option in various tutorials on
> the Internet. I looked it up in mdadm's manpage, but it doesn't seem to be
> documented.
>
> Any idea what this option does ?

It's one of the major modes, and assumed if no other mode is specified.
See the MODES and OPTIONS sections near the beginning of the mdadm man page.

I'm guessing that --misc used to be required in order to use any of the
options specified in the "For Misc mode" section.