[CentOS] Setting up NIS on Centos 8

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Sun Dec 6 16:17:19 UTC 2020

Le 06/12/2020 à 16:35, Mark LaPierre a écrit :

> I've been told in the past that NIS should not be used because of some supposed
> security issues.
>
> Can someone site any authoritative documentation concerning the security issues
> extant in NIS?
>
> My plan is to set up NIS and NFS on my home network server where I plan to host
> all the local home network /home directories.  I'll use automount on all the
> other nodes to mount up the home directories when a user logs on.

The main problem with NIS is that logins and passwords circulate in clear-text
over the network.

I've written a detailed blog article about NIS on CentOS 7. Should work
similarly on CentOS 8, since NIS didn't really evolve since:

https://blog.microlinux.fr/serveur-nis-centos-7/

A secure alternative that's not much more difficult to setup is 389 Directory
Server:

https://blog.microlinux.fr/389-ds-centos-7/

This one works differently on CentOS 8 though.

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr